• Northeast Ohio's Ultimate Wedding Planning Guide for Over 20 Years!

  • Welcome to Today’s Bride

  • Categories

  • Blog Archive

  • Top Posts

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 13 other followers

  • Tweets from Today’s Bride

Getting Married? How To Change Your Name

A marriage license with your new name on it does not mean your name has automatically changed.

Make your new name official. If you’ve decided to change your name, the easiest way is to apply for the NAME CHANGE is at the same time you apply for your Marriage License.  It will save you extra paperwork, time, and money. You’ll receive a simple form to submit to the Social Security Administration and you’re on your way.

If you wait until after your honeymoon, you’ll need to revisit the Probate Court where you reside (with your Birth Certificate) and fill out a CHANGE OF NAME APPLICATION.    A hearing date (need not be present) is set by the Court, normally 45 to 50 days from the date of filing. At least 30 days prior to hearing, you must have published a Notice of Change of Name in a newspaper of general circulation and proof filed with the Court. Your local Probate Court will help explain how to do this.

Once you receive notice that the Court granted your name change, proceed with your Social Security card and driver’s license. Without these, you won’t get very far down the list of other important changes. Some institutions only require a phone call others may ask for a copy of your marriage certificate or social security card. Always arm yourself with a certified marriage license — be sure it has a raised seal, which means it’s authentic.

  • Social Security Card
    Contact the Social Security Administration at (800) 772-1213 or download form SS-5 online at http://www.socialsecurity.gov. Once you’ve filled it out, you can either mail it in or turn it in directly. Your new card will be free.
  • Driver’s License
    Visit the Department of Motor Vehicles, which requires you to make a personal appearance. Bring  your certified marriage license & Social Security card.
  • Car Registration
  • Car Insurance
  • Voter Registration
  • Passport Do not do this before the wedding — your passport name must match the name on your ticket and all other travel documents!
  • Checks and Checking Accounts
  • Savings Accounts
  • IRAs & CDs
  • Safe Deposit Box
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
  • Stock, Bonds
  • Life Insurance
  • Health Insurance
  • Will
  • Homeowner’s Insurance
  • Property Titles
  • Leases
  • School Registration
  • Professional Information
  • Employee Records
  • Business Cards/Letterhead
  • Return Address Labels
  • Magazine Subscriptions
  • Notify Post Office

While this list is by no means complete, it will give you a head start on getting everything changed to your new name.

For more marriage license information, click here